Today on 10/31/2014
Nothing scheduled for today
Town Hall Hours
Mon - Wed / 9:00am - 4:00pm
Thu / 9:00am - 7:00pm
Fri / 9:00am - Noon
Wednesday, January 1st - New Year's Day
Monday, Janurary 20th - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Monday, February 17th - Pesident's Day
Friday, April 18th - Good Friday
Monday, May 26th - Memorial Day
Friday, July 4th - Independence Day
Monday, September 1st - Labor Day
Monday, October 13th - Columbus Day
Tuesday, November 11th - Veteran's Day
Thursday-Friday, November 27th-28th - Thanksgiving Holiday
Wednesday, December 24th - Christmas Eve Day - Town offices close at 12:00PM (Noon)
Thursday, December 25th - Christmas Day
Friday, December 26th - Floating Holiday
Thursday-Friday, Janurary 1st-2nd 2015 - Floating Holiday
New Emergency Notification System
Welcome to Westbrook, Connecticut USA, a quaint shoreline community nestled on the banks of Long Island Sound between New Haven and New London. Explore our site and plan a visit to enjoy our fresh salt air, sandy beaches, unlimited marine activities.
Relax in a cozy B&B or chill out in a full-featured resort. Poke around our unique shops and meander through our well stocked mall. When you work up an appetite and you will, Westbrook offers everything from fun casual to gourmet fare and everything in between. Something for every palate and pocketbook.
Enjoy Westbrook, a friendly port.
Storm Closings / Meeting Cancellations / Urgent Notices
Westbrook Social Services is now taking applications for fuel assistance for the 2014-15 heating season for eligible Westbrook residents
Annual household income limits are based on the last four weeks of income and size of household. $32,515 (1); $42,519 (2); $52,524 (3); $62,528 (4); $72,532 (5); $82,537 (6); $84,413 (7); $86,289 (8).
Some asset limits are followed.
Applications are taken by appointment only. Please contact Elizabeth Carpenter, Coordinator of Westbrook Social Services at (860) 399-3040 X154 for information or to schedule your appointment.
Westbrook Park & Recreation Tree Lighting Committee Present:
The Annual Holiday Parade and Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Bring the family
- Visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus
- Sing Carols
- Make Crafts & Reindeer Food
- Watch Entertaining Performances
- Take a Carriage Ride
- Enjoy Refreshments & Lots of Good Cheer!
Flu immunization clinic will be held November 4
A flu immunization clinic will be held November 4, in Westbrook from 9 a.m-1 p.m at the Senior Center provided by the Westbrook VNA. Please bring your insurance card. If no insurance, donations are appreciated.
CL&P will be updating poles, wires and other equipment in the following neighborhoods beginning the week of 10/27/14
CL&P will be updating poles, wires and other equipment in the following neighborhoods beginning the week of 10/27/14:
McVeagh Road, Wood Duck Road, Rintoul Road, Essex Rd. between Farm Lane and Monahan Road, Docs Hill Drive, Monahan Lane and Spencer Plain Rd. at the intersection of Essex Road.
In addition to construction activity in your neighborhood, intermittent power outages, ranging from 2 to 4 hours will be needed to complete this work safely.
Gov. Malloy: State Launches Ebola Information Website
Residents Can Visit www.ct.gov/ebola for Useful Facts
Governor Dannel P. Malloy today announced that the State of Connecticut has launched a website to keep residents informed regarding the Ebola virus. There will also be a hyperlink to www.ct.gov/ebola on the homepages of all state agencies.
“Many residents have questions and concerns. For that reason, we felt it was important to create a localized site where information will be updated on an ongoing basis," said Governor Malloy. "While there are no cases of Ebola in Connecticut, we are taking safety measures to prevent the spread of this virus should someone in our state become sick with Ebola. Our health officials and Unified Command Team have been meeting to prepare for a potential case here in Connecticut.”
For more information, please visit Governor Malloy's website: http://www.governor.ct.gov/malloy/cwp/view.asp?a=4010&Q=555472
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO WESTBROOK RESIDENTS – Noel Bishop, First Selectman
We want to alert the public in advance to an important change. Our Police Advisory/Parking Authority has voted to instruct our Public Works Department to install a stop sign as follows:
Westbound at the intersection of Old Clinton Road and Hammock Road in Westbrook. In addition to the stop sign, the speed limit will be changed from 20 mph to 25 mph.
Protect Customers from Scams
At CL&P and Yankee Gas, we want to protect customers from potential scams. As an important safety reminder, we remind customers through press releases, social media, bill communications and our websites that all CL&P and Yankee Gas employees carry photo identification at all times and most of our technical employees also drive a company vehicle. If a customer believes somebody is falsely claiming to be an CL&P and Yankee Gas employee, they should report the incident immediately to local police. CL&P and Yankee Gas employees also rarely make unsolicited house visits. Some exceptions include following up on collections notices, accessing our equipment to ensure the safe and efficient operation of our distribution system, or if there is another safety concern. To help further protect customers from potential scams, CL&P and Yankee Gas reminds customers of the following:
- Never provide personal financial information to any unsolicited individual, whether in person, on the phone, or online.
- Customers scheduled for disconnection due to non-payment receive advanced written notice, which includes actions they can take to ensure their service isn't interrupted.
- Customers have multiple payment options available, including E&mdashBill, One Time Payments, Pay by Phone, Money Orders, Walk-In Locations and credit card payments.
- CL&P and Yankee Gas companies would never ask customers to purchase prepaid cards.
- A customer can verify a caller claiming to be from CL&P and Yankee Gas is legitimate by asking for some basic information about their account. Our representatives are able to provide the name on their account, the account address and exact past due balance on their account.
- Customers should always decline any door-to-door offer claiming to be from CL&P and Yankee Gas—even if the individuals provide proof such as a utility company badge number.
- Customers may also call CL&P (800-286-2000) and Yankee Gas (800-989-0900) directly to confirm any offers.
2013 Mill Rate
In response to increasing and competing demands for the use and development of the waters and coastal shoreline of the Town of Westbrook, the Harbor Management Commission has made the decision to prepare a Harbor Management Plan which will address a wide range of water-related issues for the entire Westbrook shoreline including:
- Recreational and commercial boating, fishing and shellfishing.
- Flood and erosion hazards, including areas subject to high-velocity waves.
- Industrial and commercial water-dependant uses.
- Water-dependant recreational and educational uses.
- Water quality and public health.
- Public access.
- Natural resources conservation including: tidal wetlands, estuaries, beaches, dunes, intertidal flats, escarpments, fish and shellfish resources, and rocky shores.
Harbor Management Plan
Draft Harbor Ordinance
2014 Household Hazardous Waste Collections
Click to view the 2014 Household Hazerous Waste Collections Flyer
Great News for Westbrook!
The most recent Connecticut Magazine edition on “Rating the Towns” rates Westbrook #3 out of 39 towns relative to the median sale price of a home. Please see rating chart below. On page 58 of the magazine, note the following: “If you’re interested in an affordable town along the shoreline, you might consider Westbrook, which ranks second in civic engagement, second in economic success and third in education”.
Dog Ordinance Update
Please download the attached PDF to learn more about the updated dog ordinance.
Download the Updated Dog Ordinance
Westbrook Offers Discounted Prescription Drug Program
The Town of Westbrook, through its association with the Connecticut Conference of Municipalities (CCM), the statewide association of towns and cities, is now providing a prescription discount card that will provide uninsured and underinsured residents steep savings on prescription medicines. Westbrook is a member of CCM and this new program is only available to CCM member communities.
Download the Press Release
Please note the following openings on various boards and committees throughout the Town of Westbrook.
If you are interested in filling any of these positions, please contact Suzanne Helchowski in the First Selectman’s office at 860-399-3040 ext 110
- Cable TV Advisory Council
- River COG Selectmen’s Representative
- Economic Development Commission
- Fire Commissioner Alternate
- Housing Authority
- Inland Wetlands & Watercourses Commission Alternate
- Town Center Alternate
- Water Pollution Control Commission