marriage Licenses

CONGRATULATIONS!  you are getting married in Westbrook here is what you need to know -

You have come to the right place; the Town Clerk’s Office.  You can obtain your marriage license within 65 days of your wedding date and we encourage both parties to the marriage appear in person to apply; however, you do not need to appear at the same time. The marriage license must be completed and signed in front of the registrar or assistant registrar of vital statistics.  You must provide a photo Identification with a signature for each of you.  It can be your driver’s license or an up-to-date passport.

The worksheet is short and requires basic knowledge of your parents full names and places of birth.  You need to know your mother’s maiden name as well.  The entire process is less than 30 minutes and no appointments are necessary.  There is no waiting period; you will take your license with you when you leave.

You do want to check with us if you are planning to come around a holiday week or weekend to be sure that our office will be open for you to come in. 

The fee is $50.00 for your marriage license.  After you are married, it is the responsibility of your  officiant to ensure your license is returned to this office as quickly as possible.  The original will stay in Westbrook and you can obtain certified copies for $20.00 each.

We look forward to meeting you; please do not hesitate to call our office with any questions.

We have a list of Justices of the Peace (PDF) that are available to the public. 

You can also use Find a JP to find a Justice of the Peace.

Dog Licenses

Dog licenses are purchased through the Town Clerk’s office.

Initial & Annual License Timeline

Every dog, except dogs kept under a kennel license as provided in CGS  22-338 the Connecticut General Statutes, must be licensed when it becomes six months old and then annually in June. 

Licenses run from June 30 of current year to July 1st of next year. Licenses are issued by the Town Clerk’s office.


These fees are broken down and most of the money is forwarded to the Animal Population Control fund. The state and town Clerk Fee is $1 per license.

License TypeFee
Female - Spayed$8
Female - Unspayed$19
Male - Neutered$8
Male - Unaltered$19


A penalty of $1 per month or fraction of a month is charged when an owner fails to license a dog when it becomes six months old. However, no penalty is charged if an owner presents certain proof of new ownership.

Vaccination Requirements

Proof of rabies vaccination is required when registering new licenses. For renewals, if the rabies vaccination has expired, a new certificate and tag number must be provided at time of renewal.

Sport Licenses

Sport licenses and permits are available through the Town Clerk’s office. Call the office at 860-399-3044 for more information.

Fishing Licenses

Fishing Licenses are Available Online! 

Click here to: Get Your Fishing License