How do I Remove a Motor Vehicle from the Grand List?

Two forms of proof are required in order to remove, or pro-rate, a vehicle you no longer own, from the Grand List.  The first form of proof to be presented, MUST be, the plate receipt from DMV showing that you have cancelled the plate.  This can be done online at, or done at the DMV itself.  The second form of proof, will be something that tells us what you did with the vehicle.  This could be a Bill of Sale, Trade-in Papers, Out of State Registration, etc.  

A full list of acceptable forms of proof can be found by clicking here document [Original Size].  

If you do not have a copy of any of these documents, a Motor Vehicle Affidavit, may be filled out and returned to the Assessor's Office.  The Affidavit can be downloaded here:  document [Original Size]

Show All Answers

1. How do I Remove a Motor Vehicle from the Grand List?
2. I am a Veteran, do I Qualify for any Tax Breaks?
3. I am a Homeowner who is 65+ years old, do I Qualify for any Tax Breaks?
4. I am Totally Disabled, do I qualify for any Tax Breaks?
5. I am a Business Owner in Westbrook, when is my Personal Property Declaration Due in to the Assessor's Office?
6. I am the Owner of a Business that I Closed, Sold or Moved to Another Town, How do I Remove my Business From the Grand List?
7. What is the Recommended Procedure to Combine Vacant Pieces of Land?