Public Spots in Westbrook Need Tenders: Join the Fun and Adopt-A-Spot!
Throughout town there are small public plots under signposts, at intersections, and around public buildings, that are waiting for your gardening talents to make them more beautiful.
To get started, all you need to do is:
- Find a spot you'd like to adopt. Click here to see the list
- Read the guidelines by scrolling below or click here.
- Complete an application that you'll find on the right.
- Submit your signed application to Westbrook Land Use Office, Mulvey Center, 866 Boston Post Road, Westbrook, CT 06498. If you pick a spot that needs planting, we need you to submit a plan for approval with your application.
- An Adopt-A-Spot team member will contact you to confirm your adopted spot.
- Pull the 1st weed or dig your 1st hole for a new plant in your adopted spot.
- Admire a sign recognizing your valued work after several weeks.
If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please e-mail them to WestbrookAdoptASpot@yahoo.com
Thanks for making Westbrook a better place to live and work!
The Adopt-A-Spot Team (Rosemary Einsmann, Deborah Rie, Libby Waldron)
Westbrook Adopt-A-Apot Guidelines
General Landscape Development Guidelines
- Use plant materials that are suitable for our climate, tolerate dry/ poor soils, require less water than most, and require a minimum of maintenance. Other desirable traits are limited susceptibility to insect and disease infestation and tolerance to salt exposure.
- Plant flowers in spring after chance of frost. Plant bulbs in the fall. Plant shrubs in spring or fall.
- Use manures or compost as soil amendments to improve soil structure and increase water-retentive properties of soils.
- Use dark brown shredded bark mulch to aid in retaining soil moisture.
- Limit use of fertilizer to avoid over-stimulating plant growth which in turn increases water requirements.
- Employ proper watering practices, especially during establishment period. Water deeply to soak root zone and force roots to go deep.
General Maintenance Guidelines
- Biweekly - Remove weeds, dead head spent blooms, remove litter.
- Seasonally – Prune shrubs. If a flowering shrub, prune after flowering.
- Clearance from the Edge of the Travel Lane - Curb or Guardrail: five(5) foot clearance necessary.
- Median Planting - No trees or shrubs with caliper four(4) inches or greater.
- Island Planting - Ultimate height of shrubs to be no greater than three(3) feet
Call Westbrook Public Works Department - (860) 399-3047 x152 - to request debris pickup and mulch delivery. Please call a week before you need the pickup or delivery.
|Area - ID#||Location||Need||Sunlight Exposure||Adoptive Parent||Start Date|
|Beach - 1||Entrance - Both sides||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||Mitchell, Norma||July '12|
|Beach - 2||Building - Ladies Room Side||Paint interior||Partial Sun||The Painted Ladies||May '12|
|Beach - 3||Building - Men's Room Side||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||OPEN|
|Beach - 5||Life Guard Stations||Paint/stain||Full Sun||OPEN|
|Beach - 6||Picnic Tables||Paint/stain||Full Sun||OPEN|
|Beach - 7||Benches (4)||Paint/stain||Full Sun||Tidelawn Manor||Jun '11|
|Center - 1||Two Medians at 153 Rte 1 corner||Maintain||Full Sun||Waldron, LibbyWinslow, Marianne||July '10|
|Center - 2||Playground - Gate entrance - pavers||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||Nash, Julia - Bloomers||Feb '12|
|Center - 3||Riggio Bldg - Events sign||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||Old Navy at Tanger Outlets||June '10|
|Center - 4||Riggio Bldg front - Building sign||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||OPEN||Feb '12|
|Center - 5||Riggio Bldg rear sign||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||Keough, Tracy||Sept '11|
|Center - 6||Town Parking Lot, Westbrook Place||Develop & Maintain||Shade||OPEN|
|Center - 7||Wren Park Sign, Rte 1||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||Oxford Academy, Partridge, Vivian||Oct '10|
|Center - 8||Salt Island Rd, Rte 1 - raised bed||Maintain||Full Sun||Moores's Landscaping - Moore, Sherrica||Apr '11|
|Center - 9||Rt 1 near Lyman Real Estate||Develop & Maintain||Shade||Placed on hold for post master plan|
|Center - 10||Firehouse Announcement Sign Planter||Develop & Maintain||Shade||OPEN|
|Gateway - 1||Rte 1 East - Welcome Sign||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||Wilson, Jennifer - Lion's Club||Apr '12|
|Gateway - 2||Rte 1 West - Welcome Sign||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||Lions Club - Wilson, Jennifer||Feb '12|
|Gateway - 3||Rte 153 / I95 - Welcome Sign||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||OPEN|
|Gateway - 4||Rte 153 North - Welcome Sign||Maintain||Full Sun||Rie, Deborah||July '10|
|Gateway - 5||Old Clinton Rd State Sign||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||OPEN|
|Green - 1||Circular garden near gazebo||Maintain||Full Sun||Gordon, Mindy / Curt, Cathy||May '10|
|Green - 2||Flagpole Lanscaping||Maintain||Full Sun||Cloutier, Ceil||April '11|
|Green - 3||Gazebo||Develop & Maintain||Partial Sun||Reserved - Westbrook Garden Club - Gordon, Mindy||Jan '12|
|Green - 4||Historical Society Building Landscaping||Maintain||Full Sun||Coppes, JacquelineWaldron, Annie||June '10|
|Green - 5||Veteran's Memorial Boulder Garden||Maintain||Partial Sun||Gordon, Mindy / Curt, Cathy||May '10|
|Library - 1||Library Entrance sign - Goodspeed Ave/Library driveway.||Maintain||Partial Sun||Berstein, Terry, Linares, Robin||Oct '11|
|Library - 2||Rock lined Corner as enter parking lot||Maintain||Partial Sun||Fish, Carolyn||June '12|
|Library - 3||Round bed under maple tree||Maintain||Shade||Nash, Julia - Bloomers, Inc||Feb '12|
|Library - 4||Landscaping to left of front door||Maintain||Partial Sun||Westbrook Foundation||May '11|
|Library - 5||Crawford Memorial Bench area||Maintain||Partial Sun||Crawford Family||July '11|
|Library - 6||Rock Garden to far left of main door||Maintain||Partial Sun||Cietanno, Kathie - Cietanno Family|
|Library - 7||Evergreen shrubs at end of path from school||Maintain||Partial Sun||Moore's Sugar Shack - Moore, Sherrica||Oct '11|
|Library - 8||Sculpture of child reading||Maintain||Partial Sun||Doane, Cathie||Oct '10|
|Library - 9||Planters on lower level||Develop & Maintain||Partial Sun||Banks, Mary - Girls Scout Troop||Apr '12|
|Marina Dist. - 2||Town Dock Sign||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||OPEN|
|Mulvey Ctr. - 1||Event Announcement Sign Landscaping||Maintain||Partial Sun||Vista Vocational - Juaire, Kristin, Platteborze, Ellen||Sept '10|
|Mulvey Ctr. - 2||Flag Pole Landscaping||Maintain||Partial Sun||Ferry, Michael (Buster)||Sept. '10|
|Mulvey Ctr. - 3||Front Landscaping - Around door||Maintain||Full Sun||Mulvey Ctr Staff||Aug '10|
|Mulvey Ctr. - 4||Front Landscaping - Around door||Maintain||Full Sun||Mulvey Ctr Staff||Aug '10|
|Mulvey Ctr. - 5||Rear - Northwest Corner landscaping||Maintain||Full Sun||Trojanoski, Rita||May '12|
|Mulvey Ctr. - 6||Rear Rosebush Hedge||Maintain||Full Sun||Heidi||May '12|
|Mulvey Ctr.- 7||Rear Landscaping (bird house area)||Maintain||Full Sun||SARAH||May '11|
|Mulvey Ctr - 8||West side - By door||Maintain||Full Sun||Appleby, Caren||May '12|
|Mulvey Ctr - 9||East Side - Landscaping||Develop & Maintain||Full Sun||OPEN|
|Mulvey Ctr - 9||Front landscaping - Right of door area||OPEN|
|Mulvey Ctr - 9||Front Landscaping - Left of door area||OPEN|