One of the main functions of the Planning Commission is developing and adopting the Plan of Conservation and Development (POCD). The current plan was completed in 2021 (PDF) and provides the framework for guiding growth to maintain and improve Westbrook in ways its citizens find most desirable.
All proposed municipal improvements, special permit applications and proposed amendments to the Zoning Regulations and Zoning map are reviewed for consistency with the plan. While the recommendations in the Plan of Conservation and Development are advisory, basing decisions for the town’s future on a comprehensive plan increases the likelihood of retaining qualities that make the town special and attaining desired goals.
By state statute, the plan must be updated every 10 years in order to be eligible for state discretionary funding. The Commission and a POCD sub-committee helped to develop the 2021 POCD. The Commission has appointed a Plan of Conservation and Development Implementation Committee to oversee the policy and action recommendations in the plan.
Subdivision of Land
The Commission has regulatory jurisdiction over the subdivision of land. Subdivision is defined as the division of a tract or parcel of land into 3 or more lots. The subdivision regulations are intended to ensure that land, when subdivided can be used for building purposes without danger to health and safety or degradation of the environment.
An important component of subdivision plans is the laying out of new town roads and designation of Open Space within new residential developments.
- 7 p.m.
- 2nd Monday of every month
- Mulvey Municipal Center
866 Boston Post Road
Westbrook, CT 06498
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes can always be viewed in the Land Use office.
- 2022 Planning Commission Meetings and Closing Dates.pdf
- Information Required on Maps and Plans (PDF)
- Planning Commission Application - Revised December 21, 2015 (PDF)
- Road and Drainage Standards (PDF)
- Sidewalk Plan Adopted 08-12-2019
- Subdivision Regulations (PDF)
- Town Center Vision Plan - Revised (PDF)
- Westbrook - Adopted AH Plan 2022-2027
- Westbrook, CT Local Hazard Mitigation Plan Update 12-03-2019 Adopted
- Westbrook National Historic District
- Westbrook Plan of Conservation and Development, 2021-2031
All Board meetings except for Executive Sessions are open to the public.
|Marilyn Ozols||(D) CH||11/05/2025|
|William Neale||(D) Vice Chair||11/03/2023|
|Phil Bassett||(R) Secretary||11/16/2027|
|Marie Farrell||(D) Alt||01/01/2028|
|Sheryl Becker||(U) Alt||01/01/2028|
|Richard Newberg||(R) Alt||01/01/2028|