- American Job Centers in New Haven, Meriden and Middletown will re-open By Appointment Only starting July 13. Unemployed or underemployed job seekers are encouraged to visit their website to complete job seeker orientation.
- Indeed CT Hiring Event - June 16-18th. Click here for the event flyer. Click here to view participating companies.
- Masks: In an effort to help stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus Social Services continues to supply masks to those residents in need. Over the last month we have coordinated a program of very generous people donating their time and materials to construct homemade masks as well as working with the Middlesex United Way, Old Saybrook Rotary and the Westbrook VNA on this project. To date we have collected over 400 masks and given away over 300. Please call Social Services at 860-399-3090 for pick up or if you or someone you know would like to donate masks.
- Online Purchasing of Food with SNAP Benefits: Click here for information/ FAQs.
- Virtual VITA Tax Help is Now Available! (FREE Tax Help) -Many people made appointments with VITA volunteers and those appointments were cancelled due to public health safety reasons(COVID-19). If you still need to file your taxes and need help doing so please read below: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) coalitions across Connecticut are working hard to ensure that eligible households have access to free tax preparation assistance. While VITA sites have closed – at least temporarily – in an effort to ensure the health and safety of volunteers and the clients they serve, free, online tax filing though virtual VITA platforms is now available statewide. There is still time to file your taxes for free with the help of IRS- Certified Volunteers! The deadline to your file taxes has been extended to July,15,2020. Eligibility for the Virtual VITA Program is the same as traditional VITA. Households who earned $56,000 or less last year and have access to a smartphone or computer, internet/WiFi, and a valid phone number and email address, may utilize the Virtual VITA Program. For more information on free tax preparation options visit www.211ct.org/taxhelp
- More Tax Assistance Info: Governor Lamont announced his support for participation in a statewide VITA Program to combat financial insecurity during COVID-19 pandemic. The program provides free help for Connecticut’s low-income and Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed (ALICE) families to file tax returns, allowing them to receive tax credits and Coronavirus economic impact checks and to file for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) benefits. Residents can access the full Virtual VITA services online at www.cahs.org/covid_relief. Residents can also dial 2-1-1 to find the nearest in-person VITA service site or the nearest virtual VITA portal, which offers computers for residents to log on and submit their claims. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
The Town of Westbrook Social Services Department develops and maintains a coordinated system of social services for the residents of the Town of Westbrook, Ct.
Our staff provides advocacy, information, referral and support services to adults, families, elderly and disabled residents.
The Department serves as a key link between the serving agencies and residents. The staff also assists clients in completing a variety of assistance applications for different state, federal and private programs.
To provide adequate time to discuss your concerns, we request that you call our office to schedule an appointment. You may need to bring proof of residency and/or proof of income.
The Westbrook Social Services Department serves as a general referral source for essential services for Westbrook residents.
- Single men and women
Clients are assessed for eligible services and assisted with the completion of applications for State and Federal programs or referred to the appropriate agency (including, but not limited to) the following services:
Medicare Savings Plan (MSP)
SNAP (Food Stamps)
Intake site for CEAP/CHAP State Energy Assistance (CRT-Operation Fuel -Eversource)
Homelessness Prevention Fund
Emergency Town Food Pantry
Care 4 Kids
Campership programs for children
Husky - healthcare for children
Shoreline Soup Kitchens and Pantry
Medicaid (Title 19)
OPM Renters Rebate program
Saga (State General Assistance)
Salvation Army - Service Unit Extension
Soldiers', Sailors', and Marines' Fund
Warm the Children
Municipal Agent for the Elderly
Back to School Programs
Veteran Service Officer
Information, Advocacy and Referrals
Eversource - Utility Low Budget Worksheets, New Start and Matching Payment Programs
HES-IE – Free Home Weatherization Programs